How do you know what you know?
I am a firm believer that I know what I know today because of the education that I have received as well as my surroundings, the advancement in technology, and those who mentor and influence me. Although I would admit that sometimes what I think I know isn’t always true.
Name one new thing you learned using a social media site today and explain why you believe it is true.
Today, just by logging in and doing my daily check of Facebook, I learned that Prince William and Kate are expecting their second child. I believe that this source is true because I watched The Today Show, which had a news reporter live on the scene at Kensington Palace. There have been numerous other news sites as well as social media pages that have confirmed this announcement to be true and legitimate.
What source did you use to acquire this information?
I used Facebook to require the information regarding Price William and Kate's pregnancy.
At times, are social media sites reliable for obtaining credible information?
I do not always believe that social media sites are factual. I would say that several times the "breaking news" has been altered at least a tad bit on social media. This was apparent in the missing Malaysia Airlines flight. I remember seeing several posts reporting that the airplane had been found and that some of its passengers were still alive when, sadly, none of this was true.
Murray, Matt. "Prince William, Duchess Kate Expecting Baby No. 2: We’re 'thrilled'" TODAY. TODAY, 8 Sept. 2014. Web. 09 Sept. 2014
I am a firm believer that I know what I know today because of the education that I have received as well as my surroundings, the advancement in technology, and those who mentor and influence me. Although I would admit that sometimes what I think I know isn’t always true.
Name one new thing you learned using a social media site today and explain why you believe it is true.
Today, just by logging in and doing my daily check of Facebook, I learned that Prince William and Kate are expecting their second child. I believe that this source is true because I watched The Today Show, which had a news reporter live on the scene at Kensington Palace. There have been numerous other news sites as well as social media pages that have confirmed this announcement to be true and legitimate.
What source did you use to acquire this information?
I used Facebook to require the information regarding Price William and Kate's pregnancy.
At times, are social media sites reliable for obtaining credible information?
I do not always believe that social media sites are factual. I would say that several times the "breaking news" has been altered at least a tad bit on social media. This was apparent in the missing Malaysia Airlines flight. I remember seeing several posts reporting that the airplane had been found and that some of its passengers were still alive when, sadly, none of this was true.
Murray, Matt. "Prince William, Duchess Kate Expecting Baby No. 2: We’re 'thrilled'" TODAY. TODAY, 8 Sept. 2014. Web. 09 Sept. 2014
Hi Morgan,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that education, surroundings, and technology plays a huge role in how we come to know the things that we do! We are able to use those resources, along with the people who influence us, in order to learn in our own way and on our own time. Social media definitely has its good and bad aspects of delivering reliable news stories, I think it’s just ultimately up to the reader to be able to decipher what’s true and what’s not.
Thanks for your post, Kelli! I agree that the reader can form his/her own opinion just as he/she pleases, regardless of the media's influence.
ReplyDeleteThanks Morgan
ReplyDelete