Forms of New Media I Use Daily
I feel that I am highly connected to several different types of media. I don't leave home without my iPhone (unless it's by accident). Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Vevo, Gmail, Google, news websites, and blogs are all part of my everyday life. I try my best to keep up with the latest media and trends on a daily basis.
New Social Media Influenced My Perspective of Events
I believe that social media makes me a more "worldly" individual. I rarely watch news programs, but thanks to social media, I am 'in the know" regarding current events. Breaking news is posted on several social media sites shortly after it happens. I check social media often enough to feel as if I am apart of the news soon after it is released. Events such as the missing Malaysia airline was blasted all over social media and peaked my interested immediately to do a Google search and find out more information. I found myself checking Twitter more often throughout the day to see if there were any updates. I rely heavily on social media for worldly news as well as what my friends are doing in their everyday lives.
Social Media and It's Negative Influences
Social media is both a positive and negative influence in my life. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I would feel "lost" without such connections. I believe this is a negative influence. I am working to be less connected to the world and more connected to those around me. On the flip side, I would be uninformed of current events and not nearly as connected with friends and family that I do not visit on a weekly basis without social media.
Thank you for sharing! I too am working to become less connected, at least through technology. After taking a previous course at SNHU I realized how not connected I was to my peers, co-workers, family and friends. I'm taking bigger steps towards communication in person (face to face) or talking on the phone versus an email or text or even a Facebook message. I also agree that the social media way of receiving news is a great one! News is often posted on social media before a broadcast or news article is even out.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the blog post
ReplyDeleteMorgan,
ReplyDeleteI agree that I am way to connected with technology and am not devoting the time I need to my friends and family. I have realized that I dont always provide my 4 year old with all the attention that he needs on a daily basis, I will be checking a web page or playing a game on my phone while he is watching tv and talking to me. I will half heartedly answer sometimes without fully understanding what he is answering. Don't get me wrong, I provide him with enough attention I just occasionally find myself zoning out when there is some down time. Social media can be great source of information but it is up to us to determine what information is true or not. I hate using social media to learn about the news but I really don't have any other choice as I will not watch the news on the tv. If I want to stay somewhat current with what is going on, then I revert to Facebook or the radio to hear the latest and greatest that is going on. Great blog and look forward to reading more as this course goes on.